The holidays are here and if you’re still trying to figure out what to serve for dessert, I have the perfect solution for you: a dessert crostini bar. Whether you’re feeding a few or entertaining a crowd during the holidays, there’s always the added stress of finding the perfect recipe to please everyone’s palettes and preferences. Like a good host, I’m sure you want your guests feeling happy and welcome so let me help take the pressure off of you for at least one course by giving you permission to make entertaining easy and enjoyable for everyone involved.
Watch How to Set up Your Own Dessert Crostini Bar
Thanks to ALDI for sponsoring this Facebook Live:
By setting up a dessert crostini bar, your guests can create their own sweet or savory bites to round out their meal. And the best part, it’s one less course to cook and (most importantly) clean up. Plus, it’s a fun way for your guests to show off their culinary skills and favorite flavor combinations. I foresee recipe contests and taste testing events in the future.
What are some flavor combos you would create for your dessert crostini bar? When you’re hosting, feel free to put out a list or make some examples of crostini pairs for guests that may not be as confident in the kitchen. Below you’ll find suggestions for bases, spreads, toppings, drizzles, and sprinkles as well as ten possible combos.
Angel food cake (toasted)
Pound cake (toasted)
Raisin bread (toasted)
Pear or apple rounds (sliced lengthwise)
Other sweet or savory crackers
Whipped cream cheese, ricotta or mascarpone
Fresh goat cheese
Creamy blue cheese
Fruit preserves and jams (apricot, pear, fig, etc.)
Nut or seed spread (ie. Nutella, almond butter, peanut butter)
Thinly sliced strawberries
Raspberries or blackberries
Sliced pear or apple
Chopped dark chocolate
Cracked black pepper
Chopped toasted nuts (walnuts, pistachios, almonds, pecans)
Finely chopped herbs (basil, mint, rosemary)
Spices (cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg)
Citrus zest (lemon, lime, orange)
1. Gingersnap + whipped goat cheese + apple + cinnamon
2. Toasted raisin bread triangle + ricotta + honey + almond
3. Toasted ciabatta + strawberry+ balsamic glaze + cracked black pepper
4. Almond wafer + Brie + fig + pistachio
5. Butter cookie + hazelnut spread + raspberry + chopped chocolate
6. Pound cake + lemon curd + blueberries + lemon zest
7. Rosemary cracker + mascarpone + dried cherries + pistachios
8. Toasted raisin bread + whipped cinnamon honey + dark chocolate
9. Baguette + blue cheese + pear + walnut + honey
10. Chocolate wafer cookie + peanut butter + crushed peanuts + chopped dark chocolate
Here are some (pretty rough) shots I took at a gathering a few years ago of my dessert crostini bar.
More ideas = More fun!
What flavor combos would you like to try? Suggestions for new pairs? I would love to hear your ideas for addition bases, spreads, drizzles, and sprinkles!